September 28, 2013 11:04
Getting Ready to Enroll in New York State's Health Insurance Marketplace
We will continue to update our ACA and Health Insurance Marketplace resources as enrollment gets underway. In the meantime, please feel free to visit us at the library for more assistance in finding information about your health insurance options!
’s Health Insurance Marketplace Enrollment
As part of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) New Yorkers will be able enroll in the New York State Health Insurance Marketplace starting October 1st with insurance coverage beginning as early as January 1, 2014. Open enrollment ends March 31, 2014.
All health plans offered as part of the Health Insurance Marketplace must cover a comprehensive set of benefits. Plans must treat everyone fairly; discrimination against preexisting conditions will be banned.
Below are some resources to help you locate information about
’s participation in the Health Insurance Marketplace:
- Fill out your health insurance application (available 10/1/13);
- Compare summaries of benefits and services to help you choose from standard and specialized health plans
- Learn if you qualify for programs like Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program;
- Find out if you qualify for lower costs on monthly premiums or out-of-pocket costs;
- Find the certified health plans in your area
- Locate in-person assistance from certified health insurance marketplace Navigators
- Link to the New York State Health Benefit Exchange’s Tax Credit and Premium Estimator, to estimate the amount of tax credit you may be eligible for and the amount you will have to pay toward coverage each month. To get your estimate, just fill in the number of people in your household, your annual household taxable income, the county where you live, and the level of the health plan.
New York State Health Insurance Marketplace homepage:
Some other helpful resources about the ACA and the Health Insurance Marketplace:
Publications from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
Things to Think About When Choosing a Plan
As you shop for a plan, here are some things you should know.
Marketplace Application Checklist
Use this checklist to help you gather what you need to apply for coverage.
Protect Yourself from Fraud in the Health Insurance Marketplace
Be informed and protect your personal information against fraud.
Contacts for Further Information
1-800-318-2596; TTY: 1-855-889-4325
Consumers can speak with a trained customer service representative 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Representatives are available in English and Spanish, and there will be a language line to assist callers in over 150 additional languages
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. (2013). Health Insurance Marketplace: Publications and Articles. Retrieved from http://marketplace.cms.gov/getofficialresources/publications-and-articles/publications-and-articles.html